Last updated: 10th February 2023
At Global Water Intelligence we respect your privacy and we want to be transparent about how we process your data, including personal data.
This policy is intended to explain who we are; how we collect your information; what information we may collect about you; how we may use your information; how we store and keep your information secure; and to whom we may disclose your information. This policy also explains your data rights, including your rights to access, correct, or restrict our use of your personal data. It also explains how to contact us and supervisory authorities in the event you have a complaint.
If you have any questions about this privacy statement, please address them to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Who We Are
Global Water Intelligence (“GWI”, “we”, “us”) refers to the following group of companies:
Holding company and main office (UK)
Media Analytics Limited
Registered in England and Wales. Company Registration Number 4412085
Fully owned subsidiaries:
American Water Intelligence Inc (USA)
Registered in the state of Texas, US Federal Tax ID Number: 27-3460611
Global Water Intelligence (Shanghai) Limited: 上海寰水商务咨询有限公司
Company Registration Number: 91310000MA1FP6D75R
How We Collect Your Information
We may obtain information about you when:
- You visit our website
- You engage with us on social media
- You contact us (via web form, email, phone call, conversation) about products or services
- You subscribe to receive our blog updates
- You subscribe to receive our newsletter(s)
- You use our products or services
- You contact us requesting assistance with a product or service we provide
- You request or use free trials of our products
- You are a paying customer
- You are a business partner, or a prospective business partner
- You intentionally give us your business contact information or make your business contact information available, for example at a networking event, an industry event, or a meeting.
What Information We May Collect About You
- Contact information: Full name, Email Addresses, Phone numbers, Associated Company, Company Address
- Job Role
- Previous Company / Job Role
- Contact history (including emails)
- Purchase History (including quotes, orders, invoices)
- Support requests
- Marketing preferences (including opt outs, unsubscribes, revoked consent)
- Photography at our events
- Dietary requirements for our events
- Activity on our website (such as pages visited, session length)
- IP address used to access our website
- Response to marketing campaigns (such as email opens, clicks within emails)
- Product use details (including performance data)
- With the exception of interviews for the magazine or our market reports, we do not record the audio of telephone calls, but we may have a log of when we called you, the call length, who you spoke to, and what the subject of that call was.
How We Use Your Information
Provision of Services
We will use information (include personal information) provided by you to provide the necessary services to successfully deliver the event you have registered to attend and to provide support for those services.
When you register to attend a conference or event, we will use your email address to send you updates on speakers, agenda and other relevant information about the event.
We may also use your telephone number to respond to any queries or provide support with products you have purchased, including informing you when your subscription is due for renewal or has expired.
Photography and Videography
Photography and videography take place at all of our Events by staff at GWI and a professional photographer hired by GWI. Photographs and videos may be used for promotional materials such as on our social media accounts, websites and emails; to promote future conferences and events; sharing with our attendees, speakers and sponsors and also to celebrate award winners.
All photographs and videos will be stored securely on our server.
By attending our events, you are giving permission to be included in our photography or videography and we may use the photography or videography for any of the purposes outlined above.
Other attendees may wish to take photographs and videos at our events.
After the event we list minimal information, including your job title, company and company country, on our website to demonstrate the calibre of attendees and networking opportunities at the event. We may also email this list to all attendees.
As a publisher of business information, we operate in a business-to-business capacity and as such, our marketing communications are sent to professional email addresses. Marketing communications consist of relevant, informative industry and product updates, including: blog articles and white papers; news about industry conferences and events; and about product releases and technical information.
Marketing communications are sent to our customers, our partners, our prospective customers and our prospective partners who have not opted out. We send these emails on the basis of legitimate interest, and in all of them there is an obvious and simple way of opting out of such messages in the future. We have processes in place to ensure opt-out requests are processed in a timely manner to ensure that anyone who has opted out is not included in future marketing communications, and we monitor responses to marketing campaigns to ensure that our marketing is useful and relevant to you.
While we are a business service provider, we understand that on occasion individuals may be interested in our products or information or may prefer to receive our products at their personal email address. Should you provide us with a personal email address when signing up for a newsletter, blog post, product or service we offer, then we will use your personal email address as outlined above until you ask us not to.
Product use details
Product use details, including performance data and activity on our websites, is used to improve our products and website experience. If we publish any statistical data, any personal information will be removed.
Your IP address is a code which is assigned to your computer every time you connect to the Internet. We use aggregated IP address information to compile reports on the demographics of the usage of our websites for purposes of system administration and as information for potential advertisers and subscribers.
We do not use IP address information in a form that is personally identifiable except where that IP address has been responsible for violation of our terms and conditions of use.
We use the information gathered from cookies:
- To store information about the number of computers you use to log into our website, how often and the time and extent of your use of our websites for the purposes of system administration.
- For purposes of marketing and as information for potential advertisers and subscribers. We only use aggregated information from cookies for this purpose and do not use this information in any way that is personally identifying.
- For analytics purposes to help understand the traffic to our website and improve the performance of our websites and the services we provide to you.
Advertisers may use tracking cookies when you click on their adverts to gather aggregated information about the effectiveness of their advertising, or to implement retargeting campaigns which will show their products and services to you in other platforms. We have no access to or control over these cookies and do not take any responsibility for the way in which they are implemented.
Most browsers have ‘preference’ settings which alert you when cookies are being sent and allow you to reject them before they are sent or delete them after they have been sent. However, if you accept cookies, you will find the site much easier to use.
Automated Decision Making
We do not use automated decision making when processing data.
How we store and keep your information secure
All our websites use SSL (secure socket layer) encryption for all financial transactions and all other data we collect about users for access purposes is similarly protected.
We do not store any sensitive or financial information on any of our databases.
If you provide credit card details to purchase any of our products online, those details are only accessible to our credit card merchant partners, UPG, and we have no access to them. We cannot accept any responsibility for information transferred to UPG.
Who we may disclose your information to
We will not disclose your personal information to third parties except in the following cases:
- With Service Providers, Contractors, and Agents: We share your data with third-party companies who perform services on our behalf, such as payment processing, email and hosting services, and mailing houses.
Where a third party is required to process your data on our behalf, we will ensure a data processing agreement is in place, under which they will be required to use your data solely as we direct, to provide our requested service.
E.g., we use third party app providers to develop the Event app. The provider receives limited information from us (your name, email address, job title and company) to set up an account for you and you have the option to further complete your account profile. You can opt-out of having an account on our app by letting us know at email@example.com.
- Under circumstances required by law: when we believe in good faith that a law or legal process requires it or where we believe disclosure is necessary to protect or enforce our rights, the rights of our contributors whose copyright material is under our control, or the rights of other users of GWI’s websites whose personal information is under our control.
- Public forums: In the future we may make chat rooms, forums, message boards, and/or news groups available to users of our websites or via an app. Please remember that any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information.
How long we keep your information for
We will retain your contact history, purchase history and support requests for accounting purposes, to deliver your product and to provide a consistent quality experience with us.
Where your purchase includes a contract, these will be retained for legal purposes.
Where no transactions have taken place and there is no contractual requirement to do so, we may remove information from anyone who has not engaged with us within the last 12 months from our databases.
Your Data Rights
You have certain rights given to you by law, which means you have an amount of control over your personal data that we process. Where applicable, your rights include:
- Access to Your Personal Data: You have the right to confirm that your personal data is being processed and to check if the processing is lawful.
- Correcting Any Mistakes: The right of rectification gives you the right to instruct an organisation that is processing your personal data to rectify any mistakes.
- Right to be Forgotten: You have the right to instruct an organisation to erase your personal data.
- Stop Processing: You have the right to stop the processing of your personal data.
- Moving Data: The right to data portability means that, under certain circumstances, you will have the right to ask for your personal data to be transferred from one organisation to another.
- Right to Object to Direct Marketing: You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data for the purposes of direct marketing.
- Object to Profiling: Under certain circumstances, you have the right to object to profiling and/or automated decision making.
- Right to complain to your relevant Supervisory Authorities, in the UK this is the Information Commissioners Office (ICO).
Third Party Websites & Contextual Links
Our websites contain advertisements and promotional links to websites operated by third parties. While we would never knowingly link to a site which we believed to be trading in bad faith, GWI is not responsible for the content of these websites and we take no responsibility for the content, privacy practices, goods or services offered by these sites.
Articles on our websites sometimes contain links to third party websites. These links, provided by contributors to GWI, are provided on a contextual basis and are relevant to the content in which they appear. Global Water Intelligence is not responsible for the content, business practices or privacy practices of such websites.
Who you can contact for help or to complain
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to exercise any of your rights or if you have any questions about the processing of your personal data.
If, after contacting us, you are not happy with an aspect of how Media Analytics Ltd or our subsidiary companies are processing your data, you can lodge a complaint to the supervisory authority, which is the ICO (ico.org.uk).
Alternatively, if you reside in the EU we have appointed IT Governance Europe Limited to act as our EU Representative. If you wish to exercise your rights under the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), or have any queries in relation to your rights or privacy matters generally, please email our Representative at email@example.com or post your request or query to: EU Representative, IT Governance Europe, Third Floor, The Boyne Tower, Bull Ring, Lagavooren, Drogheda, Co. Louth, A92 F682. When contacting our Representative please ensure you include our company name, Media Analytics Ltd, in any correspondence.